1.25.2010

Orange, With a Peel Restaurant (an update at the end!)

It was always my intention to post some of the restaurants Brad and I have gone to throughout the city but I have yet to actually do that. But hey, it's never too late to start right?
Yesterday Brad and I decided we would check out Orange, With a Peel- Contemporary Brunch after leaving Lincoln Park R.E.I.'s garage sale. It was in fact, quite contemporary. Definitely part of the Hipster/Artsy scene. We entered and found that there would be about a 30 min wait before we would able to be seated however we could head over to their Butterfly Bar a couple doors down to wait if we didn't want to stand around. We decided to forgo that option and just waiting in the small lobby which was nice because we got to see their super cool orange juice press. I should have taken a picture, or better yet a video. Maybe next time.
Anyway, our wait ended up being maybe only 15 minutes or so. We were then seated in the restaurant which was minimally (but tastefully) decorated and full of natural sunlight from the full length windows. Our waitress explained their Pancake Flights, Frushi, and Fresh Squeezed Juice bar then allowed us to pour over the menu to decide on what we might try that day.

For drinks Brad ordered Orange Roasted Coffee (it had a hint of orange flavor, nothing overpowering and a nice change of pace, and it was "Bottomless"!) and I had Freshly Squeezed Orange Carrot Lime juice from their Juice Bar. I have to admit though that the carrot juice kind of covered up a good portion of that yummy fresh squeezed orange juice taste but hey, at least now I won't be going blind ;o). We both also received Cucumber Water.

Brad decided on the Omelet 11.5- "Stuffed with chopped bacon, sweet leeks, and creamy brie cheese, topped with avocado mousse".
It came with 2 slices of (Multigrain) Toast and a serving of their House Potatoes. Their house potatoes had a nice Rosemary flavor to them though they may have used a bit more salt. Brad was a little disappointed with the avocado mousse, only because he wished that there was more. Other than that, he was quite pleased with his selection.

Though I am not a French Toast fan, the French Toast Kabobs really caught my eye. "Coconut Infused French Toast skeward with fresh strawberries and pineapples, topped with honey and served with Coconut-Mango Salad" and an extra side of "well done" bacon to share with Brad.
As I said previously, I don't really enjoy French Toast but I just could not pass this up. I mean coconut, strawberries, pineapple, and mango? Even if it was soggy, the fruit alone may be worth it. Let me say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that the French Toast was not soggy at all! It had a nice crunchy exterior while still being soft inside. The egg flavor was not overpowering and it was just a home run all around. Best. French. Toast. Ever!
Brad and I hadn't been on a date in a long time so we splurged a bit with this outing. Our total was $31.61 plus tax. To be fair though, it was good service and we did walk out of there extremely full. Final thoughts? Brad thought it was a unique experience, good food, and it is a nice place to go 1-3 times. I thought it was great and would love to go back when my brother and his girlfriend come into town. I'm already dreaming of how to recreate their french toast at home.

Orange, Take 2
This time with my brother and his girlfriend in tow for their "Welcome to Chicago" breakfast. On the meal ticket this time...


















Fruishi!

















Coconut infused rice rolls with delicious sweet fruity mango, strawberry, and kiwi pieces and flavors...another one added to the list of "must try to recreate at home". difficult to pick up in one piece but oh so delicious.

 Brad's Chai Infused French Toast:
Baked, Chai infused French Toast, stuffed with Ricotta cheese, served over a chai latte reduction and topped with honey and caramelized apples.

Angela's Orange Rosemary French Toast:
French Toast infused with Orange Juice then baked until warm and crisp. 
Topped with a sweet Rosemary cream reduction and sliced almonds. 
Garnished with rosemary, oranges, and powdered sugar.

Tony's Jelly Doughnut Pancakes:
Buttermilk pancakes stuffed with homemade jelly and topped with preserve citrus butter.

1 comment:

MA said...

I wanna go here! Next time I'm in town, okay? Scout's coming this wknd for our "Croc" shopping/belated bday celebration. When are you going to the Chef's Table @ the Radisson? Have you checked out Food Dance's Food Academy? Taking Great Grandma out for dinner tonight @ Big Boy so Mary can be our server. When are you going to post pictures of your cookie bouquets? Adios, mija! Love to Brad! tmm/vcd